International Travel

If you plan to travel outside of the United States during the course of your training program you must:

  • Have a valid J-1 Visa, and
  • Submit your original DS-2019 form to t​he Council for Global Immigration for travel validation before departing the United States.​

Please note: Exchange Visitor Program participants should not plan to spend more than 30 consecutive days outside of the United States.

Submit DS-2019 forms for travel validation to CFGI at least one month prior to departure from the United States. When submitting the DS-2019 form for travel validation, you will also need to include a self-addressed, prepaid shipping label (FedEx, UPS, etc.) that can be used for returning the documents to you. DS-2019 forms needing validation should be sent to:

​Council for Global Immigration
1800 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 U.S.A.
ATTN: J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The travel validation signature is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, or through your program end date, whichever comes first.

Every J-1 participant must have a valid J-1 Visa in order to gain admission/readmission into the United States. If a participant’s J-1 Visa in their passport has expired but his or her J-1 Trainee or Intern program is still active and v​alid (as listed on their DS-2019 form and in the SEVIS system), he or she must apply for and obtain a new J-1 Visa prior to being able to re-enter the United States to complete the J-1 program.

​​When traveling abroad, CFGI recommends that J-1 Visa holders take their original DS-7002 forms with them, along with their original DS-2019 form (with the travel validation) and their passports.​​

​​Check out our J-1 tweets!